Swimmers, diver qualify for state meet after successful regional
Eleven regional champions in nine events represented CFISD at the Region V Swimming and Diving Meet, held Feb. 7-8 at the Conroe ISD Natatorium.
The district will feature 17 total entries at the UIL Class 5A Swimming and Diving Championships, to be held Feb. 21-22 at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swim Center in Austin.
In the girls’ competition, Langham Creek junior Ashley Johnson was CFISD’s only multiple regional champion, claiming first place in both the 50 freestyle (23.79) and 100 butterfly (55.23).
“Watching Ashley Johnson finish first in the 50 free brought excitement to the team, but the real energy came when she broke the school record in the 100 fly,” said Langham Creek head coach Mary Bunevich.
The following regional champions will also represent CFISD at state:
• Cypress Ridge senior Camille Pham won the 100 backstroke in 58.36;
• Cy-Fair junior Ashlynn Peters won the 1-meter diving competition with a score of 511.35;
• Cypress Ranch sophomore Victoria Roubique won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:04.08; and
• the Cypress Woods girls’ 200 freestyle relay team of freshman Kelsey Evans, sophomore Natalie Marshall, junior Ashley Brem and junior Conor Glenn won the event in a time of 1:38.25.
In the boy’s competition, CFISD had the following regional champions:
• Cypress Ranch junior Shane Pilkinton won the 50 freestyle with a time of 21.03;
• Langham Creek freshman Matthew Connealy won the 100 freestyle with a time of 46.71; and
• Cypress Creek junior Braxton Flowers won the 100 backstroke with a time of 51.21.
“The swimmers really stepped up and dropped more time from the district meet,” said Cypress Ranch head coach Bryan Hutchinson. “I was really pleased with both of our regional champions, who had great swims. The girls’ medley and 400 free relays were a total team effort; all four girls on those relays did an outstanding job. We are ready to head to Austin and continue our success this season.”
The following swimmers also qualified for state:
• the Cypress Creek 200 medley relay team (junior Braxton Flowers, senior Damian Wilkerson, junior Hunter Gildart and senior Sam Schorr), second place, 1:36.03;
• Cypress Creek junior Hunter Gildart, 200 individual medley, fourth place, 1:54.56;
• Cypress Ridge senior Chris Graham, 50 freestyle, second place, 21.41;
• Jersey Village junior Shane Spees, 100 butterfly, third place, 51.21; and
• Cypress Woods freshman Grant Norgan, 500 freestyle, fourth place, 4:36.59.
• the Cypress Ranch 200 medley relay team (sophomore Rebecca Taylor, sophomore Victoria Roubique, senior Kayla Rhodes and sophomore Abigail Jones), second place, 1:48.66;
• Cypress Woods junior Ashley Brem, 200 individual medley,second place, 2:06.99; and
• the Cypress Ranch 400 freestyle relay team (freshman Madison Kinsey, sophomore Catherine Douglass, senior Kayla Rhodes and sophomore Abigail Jones), third place, 3:34.73.
“There are not enough words to explain how proud I am of this group of swimmers. Seeing these swimmers step up to the challenge and improve every time they swim is unfathomable,” Bunevich said. “This group has showed me that, with the right mindset and unbelievable work ethic, they can achieve anything. In two weeks we will see what Lobo swimmers Ashley Johnson and Matthew Connealy can show the state in their individual events.”